July 20, 2011

One Girls Opinion

I have heard a lot and I mean a lot of complaints about TSA in the past I don't know, 6 months or so. I honestly don't have any complaints at. I think they realize that the things that they have been trying this last year are really not the best. And that's okay, trial and error, that's how we make the world into a better place. There have been a lot of complaints about personal violations, which is very true, there is no possible way that I could argue that, but I believe that they are doing everything that they can to make it better.

A lot of people are under the impression that this scanner is like a 3-D Ultrasound, which is not the case at all. Its a low radiation X-ray, and that just it, an X-ray. Do we refuse to get an X-ray when we go in to see the doctor, NO, do we refuse an X-ray when we go into see the dentist, NO. And those X-rays are no more needed than the ones at the airport. All of these X-rays are in place for our safety. When we go to the doctor for X-rays, the doctor is checking for broken bones. When we go to the dentist for X-rays, they're to check any problems with our teeth, mostly cavities. When we go to the airport, the X-rays are for our safety, to make sure we're not trying to carry anything on board that could potentially hurt other people.

I realize the TSA X-ray seems innvasive, but it's just an X-ray, get over yourself. It's true that you can refuse to step into the X-ray machine, but the pat down by the TSA Agents are far more intrusive. And I think that's the major problem. There have been countless stories and I'm sure lawsuits of these TSA Agents going a little too far. And I have to agree with this, but on the other hand I can see the pat downs being a scare tactic to try and get everyone they ask to use the scanners. The scanners are much easier and faster and more efficient. As the world continues to grow, the world needs to continue to be more efficient.

There are also measures being taken to improve the system already in place. That is my main point here, TSA realizes that what they have in place is offensive and could be better, and its in the process of being made better. Why are we mad at an agency that is trying to make flying a better experience for us? I realize that they made it that way, but it was done for our safety. Would we rather die because someone hi-jacked our plane. Not me, no way.

If someone in our family did something to lose our trust. Making a mistake. would we continue you be made at them when they sincerely tried to make it better. I don't think so. In my mind this is the same thing.

Its recognized that the TSA brought these machines that have caused so much strife, but they are trying and here's a little bit of an article that I read this morning and the link for more.


New technology will enhance privacy on body scanners, TSA says

Washington (CNN) -- The Transportation Security Administration is taking steps beginning Wednesday to eliminate the image of an actual passenger in the body scanners at airports and is replacing it with a generic outline of a person.

The new software on its millimeter wave Advanced Imaging Technology machines is designed to enhance privacy but maintain security standards.

It "will auto-detect items that could pose a potential threat using a generic outline of a person for all passengers," according to a statement from the TSA.

"If no potential threats are detected, an 'OK' appears on the monitor with no outline, and the passenger is cleared," the statement said.

Passengers will be able to view the same outline a TSA officer sees, and it will no longer be necessary for a separate TSA officer to view the image in a remotely located viewing room.

Currently, there are nearly 500 imaging technology units at 78 airports in the United States and more units will be deployed this year, the TSA said. Some of the units use the millimeter wave technology, while others use so-called "backscatter" technology.



1 comment:

  1. Sadie, my biggest problem with TSA comes from the fact that they have gotten little 90 year old ladies and children out of line. That's why I don't like them. Picking on someone who is clearly American is no fun... or a parent who has a drink for a child. It's not right in my opinion. Of course I may be a little biased cause my dad works for Customs and Customs and TSA hate each other.

    ReplyDelete