July 11, 2011

Eternal Marriage

Chris and I are giving talks in Church in a few weeks and I can not be more excited. We will be talking about Eternal Marriage. Perfect Huh? I don't claim to know everything about Eternal Marriage or even claim to know a lot about it. I just know that it works! I know that its a plan that you need 2 people to be in 100% on. That's the only way that it can work.

I'm just exciting to be talking in Church, I never ever have! That's an amazing feat you might say. I've just been skipped over. And now that I'm privileged to give a talk I may need to trim it down a little bit, there;s just so much that I want to talk about and so much that I want to share. Here's a rough outline of some of the things I want to talk about.

So here you go:

Eternal Marriage Notes


“Blessings upon obedience, to those who marry in the Temple.”


D&C 132:18-20

18 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife, and make a covenant with her for time and for all eternity, if that covenant is not by me or by my word, which is my law, and is not sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, through him whom I have anointed and appointed unto this power, then it is not valid neither of force when they are out of the world, because they are not joined by me, saith the Lord, neither by my word; when they are out of the world it cannot be received there, because the angels and the gods are appointed there, by whom they cannot pass; they cannot, therefore, inherit my glory; for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God.

19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fullness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.

Lorenzo Snow

When two Latter-day Saints are untied together in marriage, promises are made to them concerning their offspring that reach from eternity to eternity. They are promised that they shall have the power and the right to govern and control and administer salvation and exaltation and glory to their offspring worlds without end. And what offspring they do not have here, undoubtedly there will be opportunities to have them hereafter. What else could man wish? A man and a woman in the other life, having celestial bodies, free from sickness and disease, glorified and beautified beyond description, standing in the midst of their posterity, governing and controlling them, administering life, exaltation and glory, worlds without end.

Jospeh F. Smith

Doctrines of Salvation

“Marriage, as understood by Latter-day Saints, is a covenant ordained to be everlasting. It is the foundation for eternal exaltation, got without it there could be no eternal progress in the Kingdom of God.”

“I wed thee forever, not for now, nor for the sham of earth’s brief years. I wed thee for the life beyond the tears, beyond the heart pain and the clouded brow. Love knows no grave, and it will guide us, when life’s spent candles flutter and burn low.” –Anderson M. Baten

Marriage isn’t a noun, it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get, it’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner everyday.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love that last quote, about marriage being a verb! It's so true!!!

    ReplyDelete