October 23, 2011

What does everyone call their mother-in-law

This has always been kind of an odd question to me. Mostly because I don't know what to call my own mother-in-law. I just avoid it all together. Usually I just wait until she makes eye contact before I start a conversation. Weird huh? I call Chris' grandparents Gran and Gran-dad, but when it comes to his own parents I just don't know what to call them or how to go about it. Its just very awkward for me and I have no idea why. I know that my mom calls my grandparents by their first names and Chris' parents call his grandparents by their first names, but to me that's weird. I don't even know how to explain it.

First off, I love Chris' parents. I love my parents. Given, right? Why does it have to be so weird then? That's my stump tonight. Chris' mom has been out visiting us from St. Louis for the past couple of days and it has been so nice and the other night this topic came into discussion. She voiced that she's fine with whatever I want to call her. I guess I kind of fell like if I were to call her mom like I want to it might make her feel older. I don't even know why. That's really ridiculous especially since Chris is 2 years older than I am. Again, weird. I guess I'm the type where I want someone to say, I want you to call me this. I want them to pick out the names they want me to call them just like they did with Brenden and having their names be Gran and Gran-dad. I really want them to feel comfortable with what I call them. I'm going to be calling them this for many years to come.

I really want my parents to do the same thing with Chris. I think as of right now, Chris just calls my parents Shar and Dane. I don't know if that's what they want, I just don't know. I know that my mom is perfectly fine with Chris just calling her mom, heck she'd probably prefer it. It would make her feel really special.

And why am I going on and on about this you ask? I really have no idea. It was just something that was on my mind at the moment. This is just one topic that I am totally clueless about and could really use all the help that I can get!


2 comments:

  1. I just call them mom and dad. They are like parents to me anyway. Sometimes his mom even calls me sis. I think it all depends on the relationship you have with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my in-laws Mom and Dad. And sometimes that's a little hard for me. According to my hubby that is what they would like to be called, but only if I feel familiar enough with them. I'm not really there yet, but I call them Mom and Dad so I can try to get closer. He also calls my parents Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete