September 16, 2011

BIG NEWS

You think you guessed it yet? Well, no, we're not having another baby. We've got Brenden and he's so cute and awesome. But we are moving into a new apartment and super soon! As soon as next week! I can hardly believe it! This opportunity just kind of jumped at us. Literally. So here's the story....

School started on Monday and after Chris got home from his classes we decided we wanted to go on a walk as a family. We loaded up Brenden in his stroller and hit the pavement. By the time we had walked a couple of blocks I realized I didn't want to go too far, so I had the great idea to stop in at Donegal Bay. These are the apartments that we have been looking at for quite some time now. We go into the office and asked if they happened to know if they were going to have any openings in November. Well, we were in luck, and even better, they had something opening up even before November. They had something opening up in mid-October. We were so excited. Someone had just come in that morning and gave their 30-day notice. We feel so lucky.

I went home, got some boxes and have been a packing fool ever since. Can't tell I'm too excited, can you? We also put our apartment up on the bulletin board to get our contract sold. We've had people coming over all week to look at it and have had some pretty good offers on it.

Chris and I went into Donegal Bay to start our paperwork on Wednesday and you would not even believe it. The people that turned their 30-day notice in on Monday are moving out this weekend! What luck. Our luck is amazing. That would mean that apartment would be ready much sooner. The lady we had been talking to said that it could be ready as early as Wednesday. At this point Chris and I are so excited we don't even know what to think. We tell her that we would have to go home and talk about it and sell our contract before we could give her a move-in date.

We go home, and yes, I continue the packing. We found someone to take over our contract, and they wanted to move in as soon as possible. We just needed the go ahead from our current landlord. What a mess. This guy is just horrible to get a hold of. Seriously. But that's ok, but only because this is a good experience. Chris finally got a hold of him today. We told him that we happened to find a bigger place and a couple to take over our contract and that we would be moving out this weekend and that this other couple would be moving in on the 27th. He was down with the idea and ready. The new tenants would just have to pay a $300 deposit, and we would have to pay a $100 early termination fee. Not too bad on our side, but for a deposit just to be living here for 3 months? On a college budget, that did not sound too great. I emailed the couple and started getting scared because I hadn't heard back from them for awhile.

I finally heard back from them. I talked to Chris while he was at work and asked if he could call Brad to see if we would both have to pay all of that money because before we were under the impression it would only be $100 between the 2 of us. That was just the beginning of the problems for this couple. Chris said that everything was going through. That we would pay the early termination fee and the couple was in the process of signing a year contract. How is that possible since they only wanted to rent through December. So I emailed them to see if they had talked to anyone to sign a contract. And no they hadn't. Turns our Brad just called someone off of the Hyde Park waiting list and let them sign a contract. Long story short, we had someone lined up to take our place, and Brad gave it away. I just think it was a lot of miscommunication. I feel so bad for that other couple though. I realize that it's not our fault and that we just weren't being listened to, but I can't help but feel guilty.

Good news, We've got someone to take over our contract, we get to finish signing our papers with the new place on Monday and depending on the condition of it, if it needs new paint, or carpet or whatever, we can move in on Wednesday!

I'm still in so much disbelief, so Happy!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!!! I for sure can't wait for another reason to come up... I mean, you gotta see my new truck and I'll get to see your new place and then the bonus of seeing Brenden and playing with him! Yeah, I gotta visit!

    ReplyDelete