December 14, 2013

All About Aria!!

Aria: I think that the last time that I updated the blog Aria was still having weight gaining problems, well I am proud to say that she is doing so much better! She had reached 15 lbs. for her first birthday and now she is an even 18 lbs!! She is doing phenomenal, thank you pediasure. I'll take you through a little bit of the process of what was going on with our little angel. She had definitely plateaued in weight gain for about 6 months from about the time 3 months old to well over 9 months old. At 9 months old getting settled in Virginia we started seeing a doctor here that was quite concerned that our 9 month old was only 12 lbs and increasingly losing weight. We started feeding her fattier foods and more often neither of which helped. I didn't want to supplement as I was nursing at the time. The worry increased as the weeks went by, not really from me, but the doctors were so worried that their reaction made me a little bit paranoid. We did food diaries, output diaries. After another week, we did a urine test, that came back with no results. For most parents, you have no idea how hard a urine test is on a little tiny infant. Basically what happens, if you have a little girl anyways is that they put a catheter on your little tiny baby and the bag is adhesive stuck to their body and you have to constantly sit around and keep checking to see if they've urinated. Well as I said, the results from this test came back negative and while that is great news we still had no idea what was going on and after a certain point of weight loss you have to start worrying about muscle tension and also brain damage. Aria had already lost a bunch of muscle tension and wasn't developing well, so we were in the realm of having to start worrying about brain damage. The very next week we had another appointment and Aria had lost another half a pound! Well they sent us next door to draw blood. Aria's little arms were too tiny for them to feel comfortable taking blood in case something went wrong. They sent us to the hospital and we had to deal with a mess of insurance. Thankfully Chris dealt with that while I took Aria back. The nurses where so great and I balled and Aria was so wonderful and just wanted to be held. They wrapped up her arm after 3 vials of blood and Aria was completely fine, just exhausted. We got the results the next week, and still everything came back negative, while we glad that it didn't seem to be anything horrible, we still had no answers. I had to take Aria back in the next week and asked the doctors about lip tie. Aria was born with tongue tie which was clipped at birth. Aria has always nursed really well so I wasn't sure why she wasn't gaining weight. I knew she had started solids a little late, but I thought it was within the normal expectations. Well, it turns out this mama was right and Aria does have lip tie. Don't get me started on how upset I was as the mommy to come in and point something out that they should have checked out earlier on with her medical history. The lip tie had been restricting her ability to suck meaning she wasn't getting the proper nutrition. Still at this point her major source of caloric intake was breast milk. She had been eating solids for almost 2 months at this point, but all she was eating was fruits and veggies, where although nutritious, not very fattening. Well, we had started supplementing with pedisure rather than formula and after 3 months she had gained 3 lbs. which was more than we could ask for. I had to leave my 2 littles for a week in September and at that point I had to leave for an emergency and didn't have any stock for Aria and Chris switched her to whole milk while I was gone and she did great.

Aria turned 1 in August and that week she got her first 2 teeth and started to crawl!!! Happy Birthday little girl. Aria has been growing so much in the last couple of months. She just adores her big brother. She knows so much and eats so well. Hand her a brush and she'll comb her still nonexistent hair. Aria is almost 16 months old and weighs 18 lbs. She is working on walking, I think all of my kids will be late walkers, and I'm okay with that, I just wish my dear mother in law would quit discouraging her from walking. I know she means well and she's kidding, but I want her to be more positive. I don't know, it just really bothers me. Aria will be walking in no time after what I saw today.

I will have to post a video of Aria's excited face because everyone will just love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment