May 02, 2012

Ode to the Greatest Woman I Know

Have you ever had that one person in the world that you could go to and they would have all of the answers, the best advice, the warmest shoulder to cry on, the person that made you feel like Superman when the world was coming down around you, that one person you could go to and know that everything would be okay just like. I know that I should be talking about my husband, but lets face it, I'm only 23 and I've only been married for well, not even 3 years yet, so this is not about Chris. Although, he has grown into that person for me. But before Chris came around, I really had the best Aunt int he whole entire world. She passed away right before I met Chris, and I'm lucky just thinking that he's helped fill that void for her that I have been feeling. Enough about this silly husband of mine, I talk about him all of the time. This lucky ladies name was Terra Lane, I will be naming our little girl after her, well middle name anyways. My very special mother-in-law shares the first name of Terri, and I didn't want to take that away from her. She's such a special lady. I remember growing up and my Aunt was always there for everything that I needed. I remember following her around like a little lost puppy, I remember wanting to spend every weekend with her, my Uncle would pick me up on Friday nights after homework was done and he would take me to the store on the way to their house so we could pick up fruit loops. I remember getting paid in quarters and life savers for rubbing her feet, and massaging her neck. I would crawl into bed in the middle of the night when I had nightmares, and watch cartoons all Saturday morning long. This was all when I was maybe 6 years old. I remember being older and breaking my nose and not wanting to go see the doctor before she had a look at it and for her to comfort me first. I remember even when I was in trouble with her, always wanting to be by her side. This wonderful lady had taught me so much at such a young age. She had taught me how to do laundry, how to choose my friends, what I should watch when it came to television and movies, she taught me how to clean well, she taught me how to cook and many of these recipes, I still remember today. She gave me the best advice I could ever get from anyone. She knew me better than I knew myself. She knew the potential that I had and how to cultivate it. She knew that I had to make my own mistakes, she taught me how to discipline in love. This woman taught me the difference between right and wrong and how to make things better. This special lady made me see. She taught me that my parents had the same values and that they could help me be a better person. I am so thankful to have had someone like this in my life and I can only wish that everyone could have someone like her in their life at some point. The things that I have grown up learning from her, my children will learn from me and she will live on through them. When she past away, I didn't feel her leave, I could feel the things that she taught me in the things that my parents were teaching me.And so now every time I have a question I need answered, I call up my mom and ask her, her answers are going to be the same because she was raised by this amazing woman. Sure, I can't see my Aunt everyday like I would love to, but I dream of her often and have the fondest memories of her. I know that my children will be lucky because I will have so many stories to tell, so many lessons to teach, and some great advice to give because of this woman. I love her and will never forget, for now she lives on in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment